Hi, I'm Dorothy's Son, a transplant from California, thriving in Texas with deep roots in Kansas and Oklahoma.
This blog is a tribute of sorts to my Mom, Dorothy, and to the other women in my family who were, in my opinion, great cooks.
In the early 70's my mom gave me a Betty Crocker Boys and Girls Cookbook. This started a lifelong love of cooking and recipe collecting. A few years later my mom transferred all of her recipe cards from 3x5 to 4x6 and gave me all of the 3x5s in a red plastic recipe box. Over the years I have cooked some of these recipes, ignored others and added to the red box. I have also collected recipe books including several from Women's Auxiliary groups to which the women of my family have belonged.
I took the movie Julie and Julia as inspiration to start my own blog and to cook my way through my mother's recipes and the recipes of the other women of my life. In fairness there are a very few recipes from men in my life as well and I'll include them also, but I think I can count them all on one hand.
I've not counted how many recipes there are and I am not done collecting them. My hope is that I will uncover more from the earlier generations and get some new ones from the women and men of my generation as this project progresses.
So that in a nutshell is what I plan to do. I'm not going to make a grandiose promise of how often I'll post, or even set a goal as to when I will finish.
Thanks for reading and send me a comment if you find this and like what you read.
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The pictures are awesome....but where do I find the recipes? I remember those applesauce doughnuts they were good too!
ReplyDelete